Welcome to Longford Parish Council
"Your local Parish Council"
Longford is a small linear village of approximately 280, situated 10 miles west of Derby on The Old Roman Road known as Long Lane, which ran from Chester Green in Derby to Rocester in Staffordshire. The Domesday Book of 1086 does not specifically mention Longford, but does mention the settlement of Bubedene, the site of which is still visible today in fields North of Bupton Farm off Longford Lane.
The village is divided into three areas, the most populated is along Main St and Longford Lane, most of which has Conservation Area Status. The other two sites are Mammerton which is a scattering of houses and farms running parallel with Longford village between Long Lane and Hatton and Lower Thurvaston or The Marsh situated a mile outside the village on Longford Lane, the road leading to the Sutton on the Hill.
The Grade 1 Listed Church of St Chad’s is situated adjacent to Longford Hall on the other side of Long Lane. The church appears to date from about 1100 or even earlier. St Chad was appointed Bishop of Mercia in the 7th Century and took his seat at Lichfield, thus founding the Diocese of Lichfield of which Derbyshire was part.
The Church of England School on Main St has about 70 children from Longford and surrounding villages. It has an excellent reputation with good Ofsted reports and means that Longford is a much sought after village in which to live.
The Ostrich Inn situated just outside the village on Long Lane is the village pub. Until recently it offered excellent beers and good food, but has recently been sold off and is now in danger of closing and re development. However, it has recently reopened and is serving drinks and hopefully food again.
Longford’s one claim to fame is having the site of the First Cheese Factory in England opened in 1870, built by Cornelius Schermerhorn, it is now a private residence.
Other important buildings in the village are The Mill now a private house, completely rebuilt in 1837 by the Arkwright’s after a fire. Longford Hall rebuilt from 1560 to 1570, then unchanged until March 1942 when it was totally burnt out. It was rebuilt over the following seven years. Longford Grange, which was the former rectory, it is now where the village holds its Annual Fete to raise funds for the Church. The Pump House on the corner of Main St and Long Lane were once the main source of water for the village. Over the years this building has been a school, a canteen, reading room and is now the WI room and is also used by the Parish Council to hold their monthly meetings.
Longford is still a thriving agricultural community with many traditional family run small farms and other small businesses with many working from home.